Friday, March 9, 2012

Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding is meaningful to me because I chose to breastfeed my 7 month old. I felt like breastfeeding was the best way since that’s how babies have survived since the beginning of time. Before doing any research I knew I wanted to exclusively breastfeed for at least a year because it was just so natural. Breastfeeding is good for baby, its easy, convient, and always fresh.
Breastfeeding in Afghanistan is difficult due to living conditions and their culture. Many women have misconceptions about breastfeeding (Eliot, 2005). Women are told that their colostrum is dirty and infected so the baby gets adjusted to a bottle drinking sugar water with a little powered milk therefore making latching difficult (Eliot, 2005).  Some families discourage breastfeeding because the mother won’t have time to do anything else for their family (Walther, 2009). This country’s perception differs depending on where you are because some women are strongly encouraged by doctors and their family while others are discouraged because they have to take care of everyone else. Some women don’t have a choice in breastfeeding because they don’t have access to the proper foods they need to produce enough milk nor can they afford powered milk thus babies are dying due to malnutrition (Eliot, 2005).
This information about breastfeeding will affect my work because I can provide studies and research showing that if possible all babies need to be breastfed. I can explain to them that there is no competition for breast milk and it is healthy for infants and later adulthood. Breastfeeding even has benefits for mother and the entire family. Because I have increased my knowledge on breasfeeding I can become an advocate. 
References
Walther, C. (August 2009). UNIFEC Teaches Importance of Exclusive Breastfeeding in Afghanistan. Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/afghanistan_50545.html
Eliot, J. (August 21, 2005). Breastfeeding Saving Afghanistan Babies. BBC News. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4747879.stm

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Its always eye opening to look st something from another perspective.

    It is sad to think that children are dying because of poverty and misconceptions. I also had a thought - i wonder if modesty plays a role into it as well. Like a woman would have to be super private about breast feeding, i wonder if that would affect her daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shikisha,

    I wanted to chime in to say I'm also currently nursing my daughter! It is not easy having to tend her needs and having to complete assignments for this class! Sometimes it makes life easier, like when she will be happy to nurse while I type, other times she just wants mamma to lay down and nurse her (especially when she cluster feeds at night). At those times I just want to scream for mercy! Then I remember that her intense need for mamma and "milky" will one day be just a memory... So I'm happy to know I'm not the only one in class going through the breastfeeding journey.

    Thank you for sharing!

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete